Our mission is to provide a quality, fully-funded education for children marginalised by poverty, rural background and/or indigenous Mayan heritage.
The El Nahual Community Center is a non-profit, non-government organization funded by its Spanish language school for volunteers and foreigners. All of our proceeds return directly to the community through our educational programs for children, youth and adults.
- Our educational programs involve teaching English (by volunteers), Spanish grammar, Mathematics, Science, Art, History, Music, Sport and more for children.
- We also operate an after-school program for young children - "Manos de Colores". Here volunteers can assist in a range of activities including art, sport, theatre, music and more.
- We also operate a program for volunteers to teach English to older youths and adults in the evening on weekdays and on weekends at the Center.
Our current goals:
- Continue providing a quality, funded education for children marginalised by poverty, rural background and/or indigenous Mayan heritage.
- Continue providing a quality volunteer program for volunteers to learn Spanish and teach English and other subjects.
- Expand the school's student quota at secondary level (age 12-18) from 50 to 100 within the next 2 years.
- Construct up to 5 more classrooms to expand the school to include elementary levels (age 5-12), within the next 2 years.
Meet the Team
The El Nahual Community Center is managed by a local family that is putting their hearts and soul into providing free education to marginalised and impoverished children in the poorer areas of Quezaltenango.
Founder and Director
Founder and Head Spanish Teacher